In light of the US imposing sanctions on a number of Russian oligarchs, government officials and entities (previous blog), the Russian Parliament was presented last week (13 April) with Draft Bill No. 441399-7 “On Measures (Countermeasures) in Response to Unfriendly Actions of the USA and (or) other Foreign States” (foreign states being those that have followed the decisions of the US on the adoption of Russia-related financial sanctions). The Draft Bill provides for the following measures (inter alia):
1. Prohibition/restriction on the import into Russia of agricultural products, raw materials and food products, alcohol and tobacco products, and some medicinal products, originating from the US and/or other foreign states;
2. Termination/suspension of international cooperation between Russia and the US and/or other foreign states* in the sectors of nuclear power, rocket and propulsion, and aircraft production;
3. Travel bans on US and/or other foreign persons working on the development and implementation of policy and legal actions in respect of the Russian Federation;
4. Prohibition/restriction on US and/or other foreign technological equipment and software for Russian state and municipal needs;
5. Prohibition/restriction on the provision of consulting, audit and legal services by entities under the jurisdiction of the US and/or other foreign states* for Russian state and municipal needs;
6. Prohibition/restriction on the participation in privatisations for US persons and/or persons of other foreign states*;
7. Prohibition/restriction on the provision of services related to the sale of public property owned by Russia by entities under the jurisdiction of the US and/or other foreign states*;
8. Exhaustion of the exclusive right to trademarks owned by US and/or other foreign states* in respect of certain goods;
9. Prohibition/restriction on the employment in Russia of citizens of the US and/or other foreign states, including highly qualified experts; and
10. Prohibition/restriction on the import of any other goods originating from the US and/or other foreign states (relevant list to be drawn up by the Russian Government).
The Russian Parliament is due to consider the Draft Bill on 24 April.
*including entities that are more than 25% directly or indirectly owned by entities under the jurisdiction of the US and/or other foreign states