The E3 have signed a joint letter addressed to US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo saying that they regret the US decision to withdraw from the JCPOA and request EU and UK exemptions from the US secondary sanctions, namely:
1. Exemptions from US sanctions for EU companies that initiated or concluded their contracts after JCPOA Implementation Day (16 January 2016);
2. Exemptions for key sectors, such as energy, automotive, civil aviation and infrastructure;
3. Confirmation that secondary sanctions will not apply to the areas of pharmaceuticals and healthcare;
4. Exemptions to enable banking and financing channels with Iran to be maintained;
5. Extension and adaptation of the winding-down periods.
6. They also ask the US to prolong General Licence H (foreign subsidiaries of US companies to be able to continue business); and to reaffirm the exemption for Embassy bank accounts.
The letter is signed by Federica Mogherini (EU High Representative), Philip Hammond (UK Chancellor), Boris Johnson (UK Foreign Secretary), Bruno Le Maire (French Minister of Finance), Jean-Yves Le Drian (French Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs), Olaf Scholz (German Minister of Finance and Vice Chancellor), Heiko Maas (German Minister of Foreign Affairs), and Peter Altmaier (German Minister for Economic Affairs and Energy).