The European Council publishes guidelines about how it imposes and enforces aspects of European Union economic sanctions, and the role of Member States. The following are guidelines currently in force:
- EU restrictive measures factsheet (29 April 2014)
- Best practices for the EU and member states: EU Best Practices on Sanctions 2015
- Recommendations for working methods for EU autonomous sanctions: EU recommendations for working methods 2011
- Guidelines on implementation and evaluation of restrictive measures in the framework of the EU Common Foreign and Security Policy: EU guidelines on sanctions 2012
- Guidelines on implementation and evaluation of restrictive measures (sanctions) in the framework of the EU Common Foreign and Security Policy – new elements: April 2013 Guidelines
- European Parliament Recommendation to the Council on a consistent policy towards regimes against which the EU applies restrictive measures.
- Commission guidance note on the implementation of certain provisions of Regulation (EU) No 833/2014 (16 December 2014)
The European Data Protection Supervisor has published a number of opinions about European economic sanctions:
- Opinion on the proposal for a Council Regulation amending Regulation (EC) No 881/2002 imposing certain specific restrictive measures directed against certain persons and entities associated with Usama bin Laden, the Al-Qaida network and the Taliban: click here
- Opinion on various legislative proposals imposing certain specific restrictive measures in respect of Somalia, Zimbabwe, the Democratic Republic of Korea and Guinea: click here
- Opinion on a notification for Prior Checking received from the Data Protection Officer of the European Commission regarding the Processing of personal data in connection with regulations requiring asset freezing as CFSP related restrictive measures: click here
Joint Opinion on the notifications for Prior Checking received from the Data Protection Officer of the Council of the European Union regarding the processing of personal data for restrictive measures with regard to the freezing of assets click here
- The potential impact of EU sanctions against Russia on international arbitration administered by EU-based institutions, Stockholm Chamber of Commerce – here.
Assets Freeze: Explanation of Terms, the Al-Qaida Sanctions Committee (24 February 2015) – here.
OFSI Guidance on the operation of financial sanctions in the UK – here.
HM Treasury Guidance on operating within counter-terrorism sanctions – here.